WHat is IFM
The Malaysian Institute of Physics (Institut Fizik Malaysia or IFM) is the sole representative body for physicists and for those involved in the practice of physics or physics related work in this country.
The objectives of the Institute include:
- Promotion of activities leading to the advancement of physics,
- Create avenues for cooperation in the fields of physics education, training, and practice, and
- Elevation of the professional status of physicists.
IFM organises conferences, seminars, courses, workshops and meetings on issues which are not only of current interest to physicists, but also on issues which highlight the important role of physicists in the country's development.
The National Physics Conference (PERFIK) is held once every two years. Here physicists meet to discuss issues pertaining to the many areas of physics. International and regional meetings are also organised. Special courses and workshops are held from time to time, e.g. courses on lasers, plasmas, computational physics, etc.
The Institute publishes a yearly journal (JURNAL FIZIK MALAYSIA) to report up-to-date research findings in physics. A newsletter (BERITA FIZIK) is published to report current and future activities of the institute.
Brief History of IFM
The need for a single body to represent the growing number of physicists in the country was felt by many since the early sixties.
Although most physicists in the universities were members of the UK Institute of Physics, the majority of physicists, especially teachers and those in the research and service sectors, were not.
The first interim committee met in Kuala Lumpur in 1971. The Institute's constitution was later formally approved and IFM was thus established in 1973 with an initial membership of 35.
Message from The President
Dear Esteemed Members,
2019 - another great year ahead!
I hope it is not too late to wish all IFM members of all races and creed - a belated Happy New Year 2019 and also a very great Gong XI Fa Cai to our Chinese members. Lets’ wish for another great Year of Happiness and Success to you as well as IFM.
Another cohort of new members were elected to the IFM. The year saw the largest increase in new members for some time now. The new faces are a great welcome and a sign that physics and related careers are still growing amidst the sharp economic downturn and the reduced education funding to various universities and research institutes. Please preserve as in tough times, we struggle and get on top. Good times will surely come soon!
In 2019, after 27 years, the 14th Asia-Pacific Physics Conference will be held in Kuching, Sarawak on 17-22 November. It is expected that more than 500 participants will attend this conference. The Institut Fizik Malaysia is organizing the 14th Asia-Pacific Physics Conference in November 2019. This is the 14th in the series of APPC organized by the AAPPS together with the divisions of Plasma Physics (DPP), Astrophysics, Cosmology and Gravity (DACG) and Division of Nuclear Physics (ANPhA). The scientific objective of the Conference is to provide a forum for interaction involving world-renowned researchers as to stimulate and enhance interest in Physics around the Asia Pacific region.
The conference will also host the Asia-Europe Physics Summit. During this conference, the S. Chandrasekhar Prize and C. N. Yang Prize will be awarded. This will another milestone in our organization of international conferences.
2018 was another milestone year for IFM especially due to great efforts of the Division of Medical Physics under the stewardship of Prof Ng Kwan Hoong and his hardworking members. They capped the year with successful organization of the 18th Asia-Oceania Congress of Medical Physics (AOCMP) in conjunction with the 16th South-East Asia Congress of Medical Physics (SEACOMP), from 11 to 14 November 2018. A Big TQ to all who worked selflessly in making this possible. Prof Ng made Malaysia proud when he was honoured with the 2018 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award by the International Organization for Medical Physics, 2018.
In 2018, we lost a great selfless member of IFM - Academician Chia Swee Ping who passed away in March 2018. A memorial was held in June 2018 to honour his contributions. More than 30 colleagues, students and IFM members attended this memorial.
In 2018, we honoured Prof Dr. David Bradley with the Honorary Fellowship of IFM. We hope to add a few more Honorary Fellows in 2019.
I would like to congratulate the various Divisions and subgroups of IFM for their support and activities.
I am delighted to inform you the Jurnal Fizik Malaysia articles published in 2018 were indexed in the Emergent Science Index since early 2018. This is another milestone. We hope to increase JFM visibility with a target of about 50 papers to be published in 2019!
I am thankful and grateful to the Council members who continue their role and support in IFM and the members who have contributed in so many ways.
Lets make 2019 another great!
To all members, please feel free to share your views or even contribute any news on physics - please write to me at email@example.com.
Prof. Dr. Kuru Ratnavelu
Council and Sub-groups
- President: Prof. Dr. Kurunathan Ratnavelu
- Vice-President: Prof. Dato’ Dr. Roslan Abd Shukor
- Hon. Secretary: Prof. Dr. Faidz Abd Rahman
- Asst. Hon. Sec: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yong Thian Khok
- Hon. Treasurer: Dr. Woo Haw Jiunn
- Asst. Hon. Treasurer: Dr. Yeong Chai Hong
- Council Member: Dr. Christopher Jesudason
- Council Member: Mr. Sivaganthan Jayasingam
- Council Member: Prof. Dr. Ng Kwan Hoong
- Council Member: Dr. Susan Sipaun
- Council Member: Prof. Dr. Hasan Abu Kassim
- Council Member: Dr Woon Kai Lin
- Council Member: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chin Oi Hoong
- Council Member: Ms. Melody Tan
- Council Member: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Hishamuddin Zainuddin
- Council Member: Dr. Tou Teck Yong
- Council Member: Dr. Chin Jia Hou
- Council Member: Emeritus Prof. Dr. Wong Chiow San
- Medical Physics: Prof. Dr. Ng Kwan Hoong
- Plasma Physics: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chin Oi Hoong
- Optics & Photonics: Prof. Dr. Raymond Ooi
- Theoretical & Computational Physics: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Chew Khian Hooi
- Astronomy & Astrophysics: Prof. Dr. Hasan Abu Kassim
- Industrial Physics: Dr. Woon Kai Lin
1. Member of Association of Asia Pacific Physical Societies (AAPPS)
2. Associate member of Asia Pacific Center for Theoretical Physics (APCTP)
3. Associate member of Institute of Physics (IOP)
1. Member of Confederation of Scientific and Technological Associations in Malaysia (COSTAM)
2. Member of Kumpulan Ikhtisas Sains Malaysia (KISM)